Netizens expressed concern for underaged idols after studying of IVE Jang Wonyoung‘s grueling schedule when she was a minor.
On May 10, an online post titled “The Schedule Of A Minor Idol Who Works Nonstop In Korea And Overseas For 20 Days” went viral.
In the post, which has since been viewed over 149K times as of this writing, a netizen reveals the nonstop schedule of a then-18-year-old Jang Wonyoung while voicing their concerns.
(UNDERAGED IDOLS) RELEASE ALBUMS EVERY 3-4 MONTHS BUT IN BETWEEN ALBUMS, THEY HAVE VOCAL AND DANCE PRACTICES, COMMERCIAL SHOOTS, FESTIVALS, AND OVERSEAS PROMOTIONS.
I AM AN ADULT, AND THIS LOOKS DIFFICULT. I THINK MINORS SHOULD BE PROTECTED, SO I AM POSTING THIS, ㅠㅠ.
September 18: “After Like” promotion ends
September 19: Chinese video call fan event
September 30: Aju University Festival (Suwon)
October 1: Fan sign event
October 2-6: Paris Schedule
The author of the post also posted a 2020 article in which the director of the movie Architecture 101 describes Suzy, who was a minor at the time, as severely lacking sleep and eventually reached out to her then agency at the time, JYP Entertainment, to demand she got more sleep.
AT THE TIME OF FILMING, SUZY WAS IN BETWEEN PROMOTING WITH MISS A. AT THE TIME, SUZY, WHO WAS A TEEN AND HADN’T GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL, WORE HER FACULTY UNIFORM TO A GATHERING WITH THE DIRECTOR.
DUE TO FULFILLING A DEMANDING SCHEDULE, DIRECTOR LEE YONG JOO NOTICED HOW DRAINED SUZY WAS. SHOCKINGLY, ON THE TIME, SUZY REVEALED SHE SOLELY BOUGHT ROUND THREE HOURS OF SLEEP.
AFTER STUDYING THIS, THE DIRECTOR REACHED OUT TO SUZY’S COMPANY JYP ENTERTAINMENT AND DEMANDED SUZY BE GIVEN 4 HOURS OF SLEEP. THIS MAY NEED HELPED SUZY’S SITUATION, WHICH HAD IMPROVED THROUGHOUT FILMING.
— DAMOVIE 2020
Netizens expressed alarm and concern after studying the submit. Many known as for adjustments to be made to guard minors within the business.
- “I’m a minor, and I think this is too much…”
- “Sigh, they are using the child because they are blinded by money.”
- “At least the idols make money. The staff doesn’t even make that much, so I bet there is a discrepancy. More than anything, (idols) need to be allowed to sleep. Sleep is most important.”
- “Those who say that it is okay because (idols) make money are seriously giving me the chills…”
- “You think you can do it if you made as much? No one asked, LOL. They are abusing children ㅠ.”
- “That looks tough…”
- “Wow, isn’t their maknae born in 2007? Sigh, I wish they could promote while getting enough sleep, eating well, and being healthy mentally and physically.”
- “I heard they eat a lot, but with that schedule, it’s impossible to gain weight.”
- “At the time, I thought this was a serious issue, and now looking at it again, her schedule is definitely messed up.”
What are your ideas?