Anu Menon: The Versatile Stand-Up Comedian and Filmmaker
Anu Menon, better known by her stage name Lola Kutty, is a versatile Indian stand-up comedian, actress, and filmmaker. She is known for her
unique style of comedy that is a blend of sarcasm, wit, and humor.
Early Life and Career
Born on December 30, 1971, in Chennai, Anu Menon completed her schooling from Good Shepherd Convent, Chennai, and later graduated
in Communication Studies from Mount Carmel College, Bangalore. After completing her graduation, she worked as a copywriter at an
advertising agency in Bangalore for a few years before pursuing her passion for comedy.
Anu Menon’s journey as a stand-up comedian started in 2001 when she moved to London and performed at various comedy clubs in the city.
She became a regular performer at the famous Comedy Store in London and soon gained popularity for her unique style of comedy.
In 2002, Anu Menon made her debut on Indian television as the host of the travel show “The Lola Kutty Show” on Channel V. She played the role of a
South Indian girl who spoke in a typical Tamil accent and became an instant hit among the audience. Her character Lola Kutty became a
household name and she continued to host the show for six years.
Career as a Stand-Up Comedian
After gaining popularity as Lola Kutty, Anu Menon started performing stand-up comedy in India and abroad. She has performed at various
international comedy festivals, including the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and the Melbourne Comedy Festival.
Anu Menon’s style of comedy is unique, as she blends humor with sarcasm and wit. She often talks about her life experiences and observations
on Indian society, culture, and politics. Her jokes are relatable, and her delivery is impeccable, which makes her one of the most sought-after comedians in India.
Anu Menon has released two stand-up comedy specials on Amazon Prime Video – “Wonder Menon” and “Middle Class Melodies.” Both of
these shows have received critical acclaim and have been praised for their originality and humor.
Career as a Filmmaker
Anu Menon made her directorial debut with the film “London, Paris, New York” in 2012. The film starred Ali Zafar and Aditi Rao Hydari in lead roles
and was a romantic comedy. Anu Menon’s direction was praised for its fresh and modern take on love and relationships.
In 2020, Anu Menon directed the critically acclaimed film “Shakuntala Devi,” a biopic based on the life of the Indian mathematician
Shakuntala Devi. The film starred Vidya Balan in the lead role and was praised for its direction, acting, and screenplay.
Anu Menon is married to Atul Khatri, another popular Indian stand-up comedian. The couple has two children and resides in Mumbai.
Anu Menon is a talented comedian and filmmaker who has made a name for herself in the Indian entertainment industry. Her unique style of
comedy and fresh approach to filmmaking has won her critical acclaim and a loyal fan following. With her sharp wit and impeccable delivery,
Anu Menon is sure to entertain audiences for years to come.
Some known – unknown facts about her
Here are some lesser-known facts and news about Anu Menon:
- Anu Menon is a trained classical dancer and has learned Bharatanatyam for many years.
- In addition to hosting “The Lola Kutty Show” on Channel V, Anu Menon has also hosted several other shows on Indian television, including “Get Gorgeous,” “News on the Loose,” and “Foodistan.”
- Anu Menon’s debut film as a director, “London, Paris, New York,” was shot in just 52 days across three cities.
- In 2016, Anu Menon performed at the prestigious Melbourne International Comedy Festival, becoming the first Indian female comedian to do so.
- Anu Menon’s latest film “Shakuntala Devi” was originally slated to be released in theaters, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it was released on Amazon Prime Video.
- Anu Menon has been a vocal advocate for mental health awareness and has often spoken about the importance of seeking help when dealing with mental health issues.
- Anu Menon has revealed in interviews that her parents were initially not supportive of her decision to pursue a career in comedy, but they eventually came around and became her biggest supporters.
- Anu Menon has also written and directed several short films, including “The Love Doctor” and “Aunty Ji.”
- Anu Menon has been recognized for her contributions to the field of comedy and was awarded the Femina Women Achievers Award in 2019.
- In addition to her work in entertainment, Anu Menon is also a social activist and has been associated with several non-profit organizations working towards the betterment of society.
Anu Menon, the name that rings with laughter, A versatile comedian, a master of her craft, With her wit and humor, she brings us joy, In a world that can oftentimes be quite coy.
She started out with the “Lola Kutty” show, Her Tamil accent, a hit with young and old, With each joke and punchline, she won our hearts, And from that moment on, she was a work of art.
From London to Mumbai, she’s taken her show, To the Edinburgh Fringe and Melbourne Comedy Fest, oh, Her style is unique, a blend of wit and satire, In every performance, she sets the stage on fire.
And then came her films, both big and small, “London, Paris, New York” and “Shakuntala Devi,” above all, Her direction, impeccable,
her vision, so clear, She’s proven that she’s not just a comedian, but a filmmaker dear.
She’s a mother, a wife, a woman of many roles, A social activist, a voice for the underdogs, Her talent, boundless, her heart, pure gold, Anu Menon, we salute you, for you are a force to behold.